Curtis Memorial Library

Personal tools

You are here: Home / About Us / History

Library History

How our library was started.

The Library was started 1950 by a ladies group called the Homemakers Club. It was located in the council chambers of city hall and operated by volunteers. From 1956-1983 Mrs. Jack Henderson was the (unpaid) librarian. In 1977 Lucy Curtis left the library a very generous bequest and the library took a long term lease on the council chambers in city hall. In 2002 the Library Board  decided to move the library to its present location. Through a Gaming grant, fund raising and donations they were able to purchase the current building and remodel, giving the library triple the space. Beginning in 2014 the library started to organize a History Room. We have received many wonderful donations of Local Historical Items. This is a continuing project and we appreciate the interest in our community.

LearningExpress

LearningExpress, an online database, provides resources to help with job preparation, career advancement, and college readiness.

LearningExpress Logo

This resource is supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by State Library of Iowa.